The vehicle transmission is responsible for transferring power from the engine to your wheels. After many miles and years of driving, your car will ultimately need transmission repair. In severe cases, it may even need to be rebuilt or replaced altogether, depending on the nature of the problem. Fortunately, your vehicle will usually warn you of its impending failure so that you can bring it to a trusted mechanic. The sooner you have a professional inspect and repair your transmission, the sooner you can get back on the road again.
Signs You Need Transmission Repair
- Problems Shifting Gears - Since you rely on your transmission to shift gears, the initial issues will be most noticeable in your gear changes. You may experience hesitation, jerking, and sometimes falling out of gear, all of which are pretty dangerous.
- Grinding or Shaking - If your vehicle makes a grinding sound or shakes when shifting gears, it can be a sign of a worn clutch or other transmission problem. We highly advise you have the system checked out.
- Burning Smell - If the transmission fluid is burning, you can often smell it when you get out of your car. When the gears overwork themselves and overheat, it will emit this smell. A hot, burning smell is not typical for the transmission by any means, so please get help immediately.
- Contaminated Transmission Fluid - Your transmission liquid should be a bright red color. If it looks dark, opaque, or discolored in any way after you inspect it, you should replace the solution to ensure your system gets sufficient lubrication.
- Leaky Transmission Fluid - A red puddle under your car is very clearly a leak. Please get your car to an auto repair shop ASAP to patch up the leak.
Transmission services can take time and be costly, so please take these cues seriously. When it is time for transmission repair, know that the ASE-certified technicians at Central Automotive Service Center are here to help. We welcome you to our Walnut Creek auto repair shop today!